Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Rape survivor speaks out about choosing life:

From Feminists for Life of America:

This month, Feminists for Life invites you to meet Joyce Ann McCauley-Benner. Joyce was raped while working her way through college, discovered she was pregnant, and chose not to abort, even though she did not know if the father of her unborn son was the rapist or her boyfriend.

Joyce’s story, “Victory Over Violence,” is the second of FFL’s speaker videos, which are being unveiled one by one over the coming school year and posted on FFL’s website and on YouTube.

“I thought: ‘I don’t know how to take care of a baby! I’m not ready to be a mother, I don’t have medical coverage. I can’t do this now!’” Joyce recalls. But on deeper reflection, she realized that “while I did not know who the father of my baby was yet, I did know who his mother was. And that was me.”

Joyce, along with other Feminists for Life speakers, promotes pro-woman solutions especially on college campuses. She explains, “When I chose single motherhood, it was hard. Finding resources and returning to my hometown college were challenging…. I am here to tell you, women deserve better.”



Joyce points out that it is in difficult times that women (including herself) often discover how strong and powerful they really are.

Watch Joyce tell her story:

No comments: